What’s Wrong with Your Tongue?
Date Posted: October 31, 2013
“I think my tongue is broken.” Since beginning your journey with electronic cigarettes, have you ever felt like your tongue was “broken”? As a vaper, you may notice that your taste buds act a little funky from time to time. All of a sudden, that robust tobacco flavor you really love doesn’t taste very good anymore. You begin to think something may be wrong… But after a little while – it could be hours, or days – your sense of taste comes back. Again, your favorite tobacco flavored ecigarette tastes delicious. You rejoice, and begin experimenting with more flavors. But then, after a bit of time has passed, the taste issue returns. You’ve got Vaper’s Tongue.
Thankfully, Vaper’s Tongue doesn’t happen to everyone, nor does it last forever. Here’s the most up-to-date information:
What causes Vaper’s Tongue? How do I know I have it? There are a few reasons you may be experiencing a less-than-satisfying flavor sensation (or lack thereof!)…
- Mild dehydration: The vapor solutions in E-liquid (PG and/or VG) are humectants; this means they attract and hold moisture. So if you’re vaping a lot and feel like your mouth is dry, it could be a result of dehydration due to the vapor. Drink lots of water, and rinse your mouth out a few times a day.
- Most people, including non-smokers and non-vapers, will sometimes notice a very thin, moist film all over the inside of the mouth. For vapers, this is a result of the body trying to compensate for dehydration.
- If you used to smoke traditional cigarettes and recently switched to an electric cigarette, your taste buds may need some time to adjust. Smoking can wreak havoc on a person’s sense of taste, and quitting tends to shock the taste buds. They go into sensory overload, and your brain tells the tongue to take a little break.
- Do you have a cold, or sinus issues? This could be affecting your ability to taste.
What Are the Symptoms?
- Periodically unable to taste certain flavors
- Some people can taste most foods just fine, but when they vape, they cannot taste the flavor; or the flavor seems to have changed
- Dry mouth
How Can You Get Rid of It? The best way to “treat” Vaper’s Tongue is by cleansing your palette or vaping a new flavor.
- Drink lots of water, and swish it around in your mouth
- Eat or drink something with a strong flavor; this should help cleanse your pallette (citrus is said to work well!)
- Vape with a different or stronger flavor than you’re used to
- Brush your teeth more frequently, and rub your toothbrush gently over your tongue
- Wait it out – you’ll be able to enjoy your electronic cigarette soon!
Have you ever had Vaper’s Tongue? Do you have it right now? Tell us about it!